The Dementia-friendly Recognition Programme is a way for organisations and businesses in NZ to become accredited as dementia-friendly. Any business or organisation can become dementia-friendly – such as cafes, libraries, banks or shops.
The programme aims to:
- raise public awareness of dementia
- assist people with dementia to continue living well in their communities
- recognise the efforts of organisations achieving and maintaining dementia-friendly status
- promote the dementia-friendly campaign
It encourages organisations and businesses to put measures and initiatives in place that actively support people with dementia, whether they be staff and their families, or customers.
Dementia-friendly Recognition Programme Awards
There will be two awards available in the programme:
- Working towards Dementia-friendly Award
This award recognises the organisation has made tangible progress towards achieving dementia-friendly status. The organisation has met fundamental criteria across five of seven standards.
Recognises the organisation has met all seven standards in the Dementia-friendly Recognition Programme.
Dementia-friendly Recognition Programme Standards
The standards are guided by principles that provide tangible value for organisations that engage with the programme.
1. Person-centred – We understand the needs of people living with dementia as they relate to our business from their perspective.
2. Leadership – We have the right structures in place to maintain a sustainable dementia-friendly organisation.
3. Workforce – Staff and volunteers have an awareness and understanding of dementia.
4. Physical environments – We have a continuous improvement plan to make our physical environment(s) accessible to people with dementia.
5. Workplace – We respect and support employees affected by dementia (either persons living with dementia or caring for someone living with dementia).
6. Collateral and websites – Website(s) and written business material are accessible for people with dementia.
7. Review – Planned reviews of dementia-friendly progress.
Make your organisation or business dementia-friendly: Download the Dementia-friendly Recognition toolkit here. Or email us at email@example.com
Click here to read about our launch of the programme.